Monday, January 7, 2013

Oxymoron, or moron not to do it?

I'm working on making the binding for my Dargate quilt that I am finishing up right now. I trimmed the edges of the quilt and basted the edges last night, and now tonight I am pressing the binding. I haven't been starching the binding, because I had to remove spray starch to inaccessible locations ever since my DS kept trying to starch everything in our house. (I eventually gave him an empty spray bottle filled with water, and he "starched" his fat quarter and scrap collection with that.) My Amish with a Twist quilt recommends starch, and I've been dutifully starching it, but the quilt is turning out very badly. I don't know if it is the use of starch that I'm not used to, the use of a new (better) type of thread that I'm not used to, or a lack of skill on my part.

Anyhow, I digress. I was working on pressing the bias binding for the Dargate quilt, and it occurred to me that the (unstarched) fabric was very soft. I had gotten used to the feel of starched fabrics under my fingers! I then wondered if, since bias binding is supposed to be stretchy, whether one is supposed starch bias bindings. I wondered if it was an oxymoron, but apparently quick research on the internet shows me that is is very common, and in many cases, desirable. (Such as to hold celtic braid-work in place.) I really like the tutorial here on how to make a rounded quilt corner, but I also follow the directions in "Your First Quilt Book," too.

In other news, I didn't have a name for the quilt before, but based on a conversation with two quilting friends today, I've decided to entitle it "Two kids, two careers, an associate's degree, and seven years later...."

No comments:

Post a Comment