Monday, February 4, 2013

I had a little baby quilt, the edge was so off-grain

Have you ever heard the folk song, or read the book by Simms Taback, "Joseph had a little overcoat?" In the story, the protagonist starts out with an overcoat. It gets worn around the edges, so he cuts off the bottom and makes a vest. The plot proceeds to carve away at the coat until it is nothing but a cloth button.

I feel like I am at that point with the Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt. I received an email from the long-suffering woman who is long-arm-quilting the top, and apparently I messed up again, and didn't even realize it. I was not aware that when you are giving a top to a long-arm-quilter, the sides have to be perfect 90-degree angles. Not only is the fabric printed off-grain, but apparently the back is 3.5" inches off on one side. Not only did I not check, it wasn't right. I am going to have her square it up into something vaguely resembling a rectangle, and chalk this up to experience and a newbie mistake. Granted, I don't know that I could have fixed it even if I had noticed, the way everything is going. I dassn't touch it again myself. My DH reminded me of the overcoat song and said that if all else fails, I can send my friend a bow-tie or a fabric button.


No comments:

Post a Comment